When the next school year rolls around, students at Elma High will notice something missing — the Davis Field grandstands — which are scheduled to be demolished soon after school is out in June. Howard King, district superintendent, said bids have been received for the demolition project and he expects the school board to open and examine the bids and accept the best one at its next meeting, scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 27.
Students in the Elma School District will begin the 2014-15 school year on Tuesday, Sept. 2, and — barring unforeseen snow days — will finish the school year on Friday, June 12, according to the school calendar that was adopted by the school board at its regular monthly meeting on May 14.
Other vacation/holiday breaks — in chronological order — for Montesano students are as follows:
• Tuesday, Nov. 11 — Veterans Day.
• Nov. 27 & 28 — Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving.
• Dec. 22 through Jan. 4, 2015 — Christmas/New Year’s break.
• Monday, Jan. 19 — Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• Feb. 16, 2015 — Monday off for Presidents Day.
• April 6 through 10, 2015 — Spring break.
• May 25, 2015 — Memorial Day.
The calendar also has three “weather days” built in, so if winter conditions are mild, they could possibly have day off on Feb. 17, March 13 and May 22. The class of 2015 is scheduled to graduate on June 6.
Prior to the 2014-15 school year, the various school and district offices are scheduled to open on Monday, Aug. 18.