By David Haerle
Students in the Montesano School District will begin the 2014-15 school year on Tuesday, Sept. 2, and — barring unforeseen snow days — will finish the school year on Wednesday, June 17, according to the school calendar that was adopted by the school board at its regular monthly meeting on March 27.
Other vacation/holiday breaks — in chronological order — for Montesano students are as follows:
• Oct. 10 & 13 — Students are off Friday and Monday for a state in-service day and teacher training.
• Tuesday, Nov. 11 — Veterans Day.
• Nov. 27 & 28 — Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving.
• Dec. 20 through Jan. 4, 2015 — Christmas/New Year’s break.
• Feb. 13 & 16, 2015 — Friday off for teacher training; Monday off for Presidents Day.
• April 6 through 10, 2015 — Spring break.
• May 25, 2015 — Memorial Day.
The calendar also has three “weather days” built in, so if winter conditions are mild, they could possibly have Fridays off on Jan. 16, March 6 and May 29. But in this current school year, the district ended up having school on all its built-in weather days, plus it had to add one at the end of the calendar, meaning students must return to school on Monday, June 16, to complete the school year.
Prior to the 2014-15 school year, the various school and district offices are scheduled to open on Monday, Aug. 18.
In the only other significant action at the meeting, the board adopted a resolution of completion for the Rottle Field grandstand replacement project. The 1,200-seat grandstand, which is now in use for boys soccer season, had a final cost of $1.6 million, as budgeted. It will host its first big event on Sept. 5, when Montesano hosts Black Hills in the opening game of prep football season.