Yahoo Weather

You are here

Pages of the Past

120 Years Ago

March 2, 1894

Tuesday night, just as the entertainment at the rink was finished, an alarm of fire was sounded, and it was soon ascertained that the barn of S.D. West, in the north part of town, was in flames. The fire company responded promptly to the alarm, and within 15 minutes of the first sound of the bell, the flames were under control. The fire was caused by the explosion of a lantern which had accidentally been overturned by Mr. West, who was attending to his horses, as is his custom, before retiring. The damage to the barn and contents is estimated at about $100, with insurance of $75 in the State Insurance Co.

• • •

H.G. Green, a friend of Edmond Croft lately from England, was in town a few days since. He has been engaged in the manufacture of pressed brick and pottery in England. He finds considerable clay on the Johns River and in the vicinity, which is suitable for the manufacture of first-class pottery. We were shown a speciman of the work turned out from a sample of clay sent to England by Mr. Croft, which was beautifully done.

100 Years Ago

Feb. 27, 1914

Struck by Northern Pacific passenger train No. 421, while sitting on the track in a drunken stupor, a mile east of Montesano yesterday Julius Hoff, a logger who has been employed in several camps on the Harbor, was so badly battered and crushed that he died from the effects of the injuries in less than a half an hour, and before he could be taken to the hospital.

The man was not observed by the engineer until too late to stop the train and he was evidently so stupid from the effects of liquor that he could not be roused by the noise of the approaching cars. When struck his body was hurled some distance from the track. The train was stopped and the man taken aboard and rushed to this city with all speed. He was still alive but unconscious when the train reached the station.

Dr. F.L. Carr, district surgeon for the Northern Pacific, was called to the depot at once and reached the man in a few minutes. Under his direction the man was placed on a stretcher and started to the hospital, but died before the conveyance reached the building.

The man was very dirty and unkempt, as though he had been on a prolonged spree. In his pockets only 20 cents in money was found. That he had been dealt a powerful blow by the pilot of the engine was evidenced by the manner in which a match box and tabacco box in his pockets were crushed and twisted. The man’s lower jaw was badly crushed, the left arm and left leg were broken and the left side crushed in.

75 Years Ago

March 2, 1939

Six men lifted a huge steel girder, weighing 4,800 pounds, into place Monday at Whitney’s here.

The feat was accomplished under the direction of Frank Glenn and Lawrence Smith, by tilting the beam like a teeter-tottter.

The girder, which is 48 feet long, will support the north end of the Masonic temple above Whitney’s enlarged service station. It was made by the Bethlehem Steel corporation at San Francisco, and further fabricated by the Pacific Coast Car and Soundry works, Seattle. It cost approximately $300 and is one of the largest pieces of structural steel in any buidling in Montesano.

• • •

Thirty-five men, who had just come to work for the late shift at the Schafer Bros. shingle mill here, were startled, but no one was hurt, when three 60-foot stacks blew down in a gusty wind about 12:15 o’clock Monday morning.

Each stack is four feet in diameter, and they made a loud crash when they fell across the building below. Slight damage was done to the structure.

50 Years Ago

Feb. 27, 1964

Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston weren’t the only one raising the roof Monday night.

Getting a late start because of the interest in the heavyweight fight, Montesano City Councilmen Monday night instructed John Robischon, city engineering consultant, to prepare specifications for repair work on the City Hall in order that calls for bids on the project can be issued as soon as possible.

Estimated to cost in the neighborhood of $13,500, the project calls for removal of the present tile roof, which will be replaced with a moneral-surfaced roof, painting of the building exterior with a water-proof coating and replacement of deteriorating casings.

25 Years Ago

March 2, 1989

Increased interest in the activities at the Satsop power plant has prompted the Washington Public Power Supply System to enhance its tour program at the 76 percent-complete nuclear project.

Beginning March 3, a one-hour tour will be offered each Friday at 10 a.m.. starting at the project’s Visitor Information Office. Included in the tour will be the plant’s control room, turbine generator and reactor refueling areas.

10 Years Ago

Feb. 26, 2004

A 14-year-old from Elma who fantasized about killing people with chainsaws and knives will be held until he is 18 for the “slaughter list” threatening to kill dozens at Elma High School who had teased or somehow offended him.

The exceptional sentence of 216 weeks was handed down Friday, Feb. 20, by Judge Gorden Godfrey, who agreed with prosecutors that the boy poses a significant risk to reoffend. It is 25 times more than the 60-day standard sentence the teen might have received.

He was found guilty Jan. 8 of felony harassment and the gross misdemeanor of intimidating a school employee or student. Since then he has made death threats against two more people, according to prosecutors.